Civil Services Preparation Plan for Telugu medium students
(AIR-754 ; 2013)
In the recent years the we hardly see the successful candidates from telugu medium. In 2011 and 2012 only 4 members got selected for civil services from telugu medium. First we need to analyze the reasons for this decrease.
1) In the new CSAT pattern more questions are from English comprehension which is a hard nut to rural people.
2) Some people who had their schooling in telugu medium hesitate to write the exam in telugu.
3) Because of the more dynamic nature of General Studies in Mains and some difficult English terminology used in optionals like Public administration rural Students unable to compete.
Adding to the present issues, now in the new pattern, General Studies Contains around 50% of the marks. This is a big challenge for Telugu medium aspirants.
What should we do?
1) In the globalised world we cannot ignore the English. So we must have a decent competency in English at least to the extent of clearing prelims exam.
2) To pass the prelims we should focus more on General studies and aptitude(In 2013 paper more than 50% questions from aptitude). If one practice well they can get good marks in aptitude (6 months preparation is enough).
3) For English comprehension we should practice the comprehensions and simultaneously read The Hindu editorial and get the meanings of difficult words. This will help in improving your reading speed and at the same time give some knowledge.
4) Practice around 10 mock tests which give you the confidence.
5) For mains we must focus on the areas where we have the advantage for example take Telugu literature or history optional. Focus more on the General Essay.
6) The General Studies can be divided into two parts on is the stock syllabus like history, geography, polity, stock economy etc. for this we have enough books in telugu medium.
7) In second part which is current affairs related we don't find much books in telugu medium.
8) Read English material and translate the terms using dictionary or google translator.
9) Read current affairs magazines in telugu like vivek and vijetha competitions.
10) Read editorials of standard telugu newspapers.
11) Develop skills in telugu language usage and writing, to get more marks in Essay.
12) Focus on communication skills for interview.
13) Buy Telugu academy "paaribhashaka pada koshini" (Dictionary)
14) Form a group of 3 or 4 and translate some of the topics from English medium to telugu medium.
Finally there are many people who got selected from telugu medium including All india 9th ranker Bhanu prakash. We need to take inspiration from them and get success in our comfortable language.